Sunday, May 31, 2009

Post Graduation Shennanigans

Graduation week brought a lot of activities and it feels like we were running from one place to the other. Both our parents were in town and stayed down at a time share at Capistrano beach. We got to spend some time with them and are glad they made the trip out here. After graduation we went to visit family that we don't usually get to see, and then had to run back home to have an open house. A friend of ours in the ward volunteered their home to host an open house for my artwork before it went up to the Thesis show in Santa Monica. It was very kind of them and we enjoyed having ward members and neighbors come and enjoy the art. Then we spent the next couple of days fixing cars, going swimming, and hanging out with Grandmas and Grandpas. Later that week I had to take work up to Santa Monica to hang, which is a whole 'nother story for 'nother time. Let's just say I don't like dealing with people that don't keep commitments and I don't like sitting in traffic for three hours for a drive that should take one hour. LA traffic, you shall not be missed. Then we headed back up to Santa Monica that weekend for the opening of the show. It went well and I sold a painting. After that week was all said and done, I realized how stressed I'd been and after I stopped running felt like I shut down. It was kind of like a semi breakdown, and I was pretty non-functional for a week. But now that things have leveled out some, I am back to normal and ready for the summer. By the way you can now see my thesis work on my website www.michaelsparker.com under the "paintings "section.

Some of my Models showed up at the open house


Watching Sleeping Beauty with Grandad

Hanging out at the MFA Thesis show at Arena 1 Gallery in Santa Monica


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations to the grad! Your paintings are fabulistic! Way to go! Can't wait 'til your fam comes back to UT so we can play more often! :)