Sunday, October 12, 2008

Moroni

Michael here:
So, this last week was spent in finishing this painting of Moroni for the Church History Museum International Competition. It is held tri-annually and I decided to do a larger painting this time around. I've been meaning to do this painting for quite a while and it's been incubating in my mind for about two years. It's still not quite what I envisioned but there will be time to explore other things later. I just wanted to share with everyone what I've been working on; kind of to justify to myself that I'm actually getting things accomplished. I sit in the studio day after day and for the most part, most of you don't know what I do. So here's a taste. I plan on exploring Book of Mormon themes and stories more in the future, though not until after school is done. This painting is from the end of the book of Mormon. Moroni chapter one, he states "And I, Moroni, will not deny the Christ; wherefore, I wander whithersoever I can for the safety of mine own life." This was a good painting for me to finish. It was hard and I tackled many challenges along the way. Since I have a great wife behind me supporting an pushing and two great kids, I was able to finish this in time to submit. I will let you know if it gets into the show. By the way, this image is copyrighted so please don't use it without my consent.




3 comments:

JPI said...

Marvelous. I like it. I want one for Christmas.

canihavethisdance said...

This is Jen's mom. Your painting is beautiful! You are a great artist. We will be watching for great things from you in the future!

Lisa P. said...

Wow! Love it.
--Lisa