Sunday, October 19, 2008

Chinatown

On every other Friday, I head up to LA for my class "Issues in Contemporary Art". We head out with Peter Frank, legendary art critic, to some of the contemporary galleries and museums that pepper downtown LA as well as Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and Pasedena. It's really quite an interesting class, even though at the end of eight hours of looking at art (that I don't necessarily like) I am drained. This last Friday our class headed up to Chinatown to see some of the galleries there. Mary and I have never been there so I okayed it with my teacher to bring her along with us. So we left Natalie at a sitter and took Emily with us. It was a good afternoon, though nothing leisurely. We did manage to stop by a few shops on our break. Emily did fine, with the occasional "Da-da!" and other baby noise. When we go to a gallery, Peter has us look around and then we sit on the floor and discuss the art. It's during those times that Emily wanted to be most vocal. It was fun to have Mary and Emily there. It was especially good for Mary to see what I do in class; and now she knows why I come home exhausted from those excursions. By the way, I happened to look at one of the labels for an item of clothing and it said "Made in Mexico". Just kidding, everything there was made in China, even the people.






1 comment:

Ruthi said...

It is sounding like you are very busy and having a good exposure to various art experiences. How neat and I am happy to say, I do have something made in China (can you believe it?)
Just kidding.
thanks for the pictures, the updates, the great visit to your world.
Love, Mom Pratt