Sunday, April 6, 2008

Ruminations on a Conference Weekend

It was good to hear the talks this General Conference. It was great to see the Prophet wiggle his ears during his talk in Priesthood meeting, and it was really nice to be with our family all together for the whole day. I was pondering on Conference with Mary and talking about the talks given and relishing the spirit we have felt, and I thought back to Conference in our early days as young lads and lasses. I remember that my dad got the old radio out and rigged up an old apple crate with wire wrapped around it so that the radio would pick up the signal from KSL in Salt Lake City (Mind you we lived in Wyoming at the time). We would drive up South Hill (Green River is in a basin) in our emerald green van, drive off on a dirt side road until we picked up the signal on the radio; then we'd park and listen while we chucked rocks at the sage brush, and looked for lizards.

Now we can watch Conference on our computers via the internet. And of course we got to video chat with Grandma and Grandpa this afternoon.
(Kip put it best, "I love technology..." ) What great things we have, that allow us to have the voice and teachings of the prophet and apostles enter our very homes when we are so very far away. Sometimes its hard to be so far from Utah and the wonderful people and events that are there. Don't get me wrong, there are great people out here, but I feel like we're so far from home. All these wonderful technologies make that distance seem very short indeed. I hope that everyone that watched conference feels as energized and revitalized as Mary and I do. 'Nuff said.

2 comments:

kt said...

This isn't related, but you two make some cute kids!!!

Christy and Kevin said...

Hey father of two. Congratulations on becoming a family of four!
Conference was indeed awesome and I agree that modern technology has made Conference Sunday no longer a vacation weekend. I admit, with the Spirit streaming into our home, that we have managed to stay awake for most all of the speaker and have really been reassured that the Lord is at the head of His Church.
Awesome looking family by the way.