This week we went to the Sawdust Art Festival. No, they don't make things out of sawdust (yeah I know, we were disapointed too). But they do have a lot of local artists here in the Laguna Beach area that come to display their wares. This was by far the coolest thing there: a glass artist named John Barber. He had a little studio place made for him in the middle of the festival. It had all his tools, a huge furnace, a couple other ovens; the whole thing was in a cage-like studio that everyone could see into and watch the process. He just works all day and people can come an go as they please. I could have sat their all day and watched but our parking meter was running out.
John rolling out some molten glass, hot from the oven.
Here starts the blowing process (notice his apprentice on the right)Here is the teapot in the making. He ended up leaving it in the fire too long at one point and it warped it out of round. It happens to the best of us.

Here's Natalie absolutely enthralled at the glass artist booth
("I'm hungry, I want snacks!")
No comments:
Post a Comment